I overheard my four year old singing a familiar song the other day . . .
This little light of mine, I’m gonna let it shine . . .
It warmed my heart. He really does let his light shine. We all have that ability in us.
It is said that:
A Good Deed Brightens a dark world
Such a simple truth. But we forget in all our busyness to think about and do “good deeds”.
And when I say “we” . . . I really mean “I forget”.
Time seems to be such a commodity, I almost “worship” it.
I am often too busy to give my son and husband my full attention.
I often feel like I don’t have time to take care of my own household . . . let alone help someone else in their’s.
And this month I had a major wake up call.
Our family experienced a dramatic change, and I witnessed scores of people change plans, give up their own time and resources . . .and give . . . give in incredible ways to my husband and I . . . and our family.
What a wake up call!
I thought I was generous and kind . . .
By the example of others I learned that I could be much more generous and thoughtful!
I learned – or became very aware- of how much I hoard “my time”.
I was reminded that all the time I have is a gift.
I am amazed of how many of my friends, neighbors and family members are so generous with that gift.
The generosity given to us has made me aware of how much more I could give . . .and give without expecting anything in return. I am amazed at the good deeds we have been the recipients of . . .
Our world was made brighter by some simple, yet amazingly loving acts of kindness …
7 Ways You can Brighten the World Today
1. Make more than your family can eat at dinner . . . share some with a neighbor or a family that has been battling the flu or a virus.
2. Help a new mother by holding her baby or doing her dishes.
3. Rally behind someone who is having a fundraiser . . . share their hopes and dreams with everyone you know!
4. Pay someone a sincere compliment.
5. Mow a neighbor’s lawn.
6. Help someone who appears to be lost (like physically lost, not a “lost soul”!!)
7. Take the time to give to a person who does not know you. (You can purchase a Be Yourself Journal for a student in Philadelphia for only $10! Check it out here:
ps. This would be two good deeds – I would be so grateful if you helped me do this as part of a fundraiser (#3!!!)
How has someone brightened your world recently?